I’m writing from a beautiful beach cottage on the water on the southern coast of Martha’s Vineyard and realize my hosts, Sparky and his beautiful wife Kathy, know exactly how to live well. Here is what I learned today, if you want to have a perfect day on the Vineyard.
1) Wake up early and go to the farmer’s market in West Tisbury. Realize inflation is actually a reality when you pay $10 for homemade mango salsa, $6 for jam, and $4 for a popover. Rationalize that it’s okay because the sun is shining, there is an old man in pink pants and a madras shirt walking a poodle, and the fresh berries, beets, carrots, herbs and flowers make you take a deep breath of the salty air and say “aahhhhh.”
2) Swim in freezing cold ocean.
3) Lay in warm sun and look for the sea lions along the horizon while opsrey fly overhead.
4) Decide it’s lunchtime. Butter up hot dog buns, grill them to a golden brown, FILL them to overflow status with fresh lobster salad consisting solely of fresh lobster, mayo, celery and lemon. Slice fresh tomatoes and cucumbers picked up at farmer’s market, sprinkle with some good sea salt.
5) Serve with a good rose. Ours was a very fine bottle: Domaine de Gournier 2007.
6) Reflect upon how good life is.
6) Take a swim, follow up with a lazy afternoon nap.